Monday, October 5, 2009

Role Play...Why Not?

So I have to start with this picture-it is of my own kids and some of their friends, playing in their very own "role play."

It is these moments that make me wish I could be a kid again. I always hear my son coming home, talking about what they "played" at school, and usually it is about the dramatic play center. This week they are changing it from a regular kitchen to a grocery store. I cannot think of a better thing to have for kids to do than play with real things and pretend they are "real" people that are in our community. Talk about learning things while doing...

In the classroom I see role play being an important piece for my first graders. Do I do it like I should? No. Am I sure about how to go about it? No. I think all it would take is some creative thinking on my part. Instead of looking at the curriculum as it is given, why not take a different approach? I could see doing book reviews in a role play situation: the author, the illustrator, the publisher, a few kids, parents, etc. Coming up with the list of players doesn't take to long. Maybe this is something I could do now! This week or next! Online...that's a different story, but at least they would have the experience to grow from if and when they are asked to participate online.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great use of photo to convey the fun and "play" at work in role-play. I too find it fascinating to watch my little guy role-play as if he were spiderman or a pirate and then to hear him think out load as if he were that role. I'm curious if you ever see your 1st graders, who are more advanced than my 3 year old, using these fictional roles to try on new ways of thinking or collaborative problem solving. How exciting that must be to observ.

    ReplyDelete