Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Digital Writing Project

And so it is done...or not really, but I guess it's always a work in progress, right?
I have to admit-when I first heard "Digital Writing Project" or even that our class was on digital writing, I was skeptical. Hmmm...I'm not really technologically savvy, but I'm not afraid of trying new things. How interesting was this class really going to be? Well, let me tell you-I was hooked after the first class.

As I started to think about my Digital Writing Project, I thought about a lot of different things. I thought about VoiceThread after we had learned about that. I thought about Photostory, but then decided against that since I can't use the (FREE!) download with Windows Vista (ugh). I had posted once to my family blog...if you can even call it that. In then end, that's what I went with. Like many people who always have good intentions of starting a journal with their kids, I never did. I have no recollection of when they said their first word, when they had pizza for the first time, or when they started calling their grandmas and grandpas Mamma and Papa. So, what better way to preserve the memories from here on out than using a blog?

I love recording and writing using my blog. I find that for the most part I'm not over thinking about what I should write or how long the posts should be. I am frustrated with the fact that I can't make it look exactly like I want it to, but maybe I need to talk to other bloggers to see how they overcame that obstacle. I'm beginning to write a little bit more for me than only for my memories of my kids. It makes me wonder what the blog will turn into, but I find that I enjoy reading other blogs that are thoughtful and insightful and make me think (not that that's what's happening in my blog, but it could!).

I am forever grateful to have had this opportunity to create and dive into this blog as my project. I love that it was a choice to be able to pick what would work best for you. My hope is to continue trying other things like Glogster and Photostory and embed those projects within my blog. The possibilities are definitely endless!

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    I like your family blog! It is fun to look at it and put faces to the stories that you tell! Both Anna and Charlie are adorable and I can tell that you have your hands full. I think the way you put together the swimming pictures really adds to the blog and gets away from the same old thing. I will have to try it! Good work!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete